Welcome to RGEMS
RGEMS (Research Group in Evolvable Manumation Systems) is a research group within the Department of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering at the Central University of Technology, Free State. Established in 2006 by Prof. Herman Vermaak and Dr. Nicolaas Luwes, RGEMS' research activities involve the effective integration of:
- Sensing, recording and control of the operational parameters of manufacturing and material-handling apparatus.
- Intelligent maintenance, including performance degrading prediction and scheduling.
- Machine vision-based quality assurance and measuring systems.
- Radio frequency identification technologies for inventory control.
- Optimization of the function of vision-guided automatic guided vehicles (AGV's) in a dynamically changing industrial environment.
- Deployment of intelligent (autonomous) software agents in the software subsystems of automated material-handling systems.